Well my first summer getting ready for school has almost run its course. I leave for a vacation with my wife on Sunday. When I get back in the office on August 6th, I will jump right into helping orient the new employees. We have seven new faces this year:
Dave Cox High School Science
Eric Smith High School Math
Dawn Wilcox High School English
Janet Porter Elementary Science Lab & Gifted
Kelley Martin Elementary Learning Center
Kevin Bergerhofer Facilities Director
Leslie Bailey Student Facilitator
Then on August 8th all of the teachers show up and we orient them to the new year. Then it is on to welcoming new students across the school. Then the Ice Cream Social and on the 13th, we crank up for real as the first day of classes will be upon us.
At the Orientation meetings, I will be emphasizing 4 themes:
- Change – Not change for change itself; Avoid complacency, so we should always be looking for ways to do things better and avoid the trap of “we have always done it that way” or “that’s too much effort to try something new”
- Accountability– I believe in and understand the value of rules. We must have them with two guidelines in place:
- If we have a rule, I really want it to be enforced. Otherwise take it off the books. Same with expectations. If you are expected to deliver on something or do something. Do it or remove the expectation.
- We must have grace where appropriate
- Balancing the two first points is messy, but we must strive to do both relying on God’s wisdom and grace
- Professionalism – Look at everything with the eye of a first-time beholder. Does that look as good as it could? Whether that is a program, process, classroom, bathroom, hallway, communication piece.
- Success – We must intentionally, broadly and continuously be promoting the good that God accomplishes in our midst
I am excited about what God will do through us this year. I hope you are as well. Please pray faithfully for the school:
- Teachers have the energy and ability to connect with all of their students and help them be successful
- Leaders make wise decisions about the people, programs and processes of the school
- Students come each day ready to learn about God and his creation and build relationships